Thursday, November 03, 2005

Seniority

Zonked out after a long night out, as I walk through the corridors of CSE building, I realize that a sense of seniority has started to creep in me. I have always been under the impression that my seniors are much more brilliant than any of my batch fellows, but wonder if we stand upto the mark. Delving into that thought I kind of concluded that, probably the juniors always typically tend to find their seniors smarter in most cases, and probably the hierarchy follows. Actually, I know couple of other people have thought about htis and discussed, like shiva was offlate nicknamed Senior in his lab as he seems to be the person to reach out for in case of any problems in his lab. Totti, getting numerous number of calls from all his juniors for getting fundaes on research etc...
In any case, I think many of us would certainly agree from atleast IITM's culture and intellectual level point of view, that we certainly saw a decline in the intellect level over time in IITM. I wonder even if that was because we always used to rate any batch compared to their senior batches. It just a compliated thing that always takes me by surprise, how we typically form impressions about people across generations.

6 Comments:

Blogger Point 5 said...

In IITM I observed a decline not just in intellect, but also in sports...infact the decline was really steep in sports..just take a look at some footer players 2-3 yrs senior to us and then compare our batch...

Pls dont call Totti senior...and pls save all the juniors from getting his fundaes...they r doomed otherwise...

7:32 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

I think the funda is true universally at most colleges. Also I have been told the decline at the meta deptt. at IITM was particularly steep after being triggered of by the batch of 03

7:43 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

how we typically form impressions about people across generations

And so we begin to talk, like our parents did... "the younger generation is nowhere like what we used to be. blah blah blah". And we hated this comparison, didnt we?

Cut the kids some slack... its wokay :)

7:47 AM  
Blogger totti said...

i agree and disagree. I agree with pointy that the juniors have to be saved from my fundaes :p even i can't save the poor souls who look up to me.

I agree with rohan, a bit.See, you cant judge the meta dept at iitm by performance of a single individual.Yeah! i may be the best they had in 50 years but still they got some good stuff (matter) and bad stuff (charan) :))

Casa- noo!! i think a great deal of the kids.Some of them are as good as we are :P

sus - good point da!i sit here and watch you comment on rohan's blog..hee hee..anyway, how come you change your opinion abt seniority just because shiva and i get calls.You thought you were the only sought after ;)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Susu said...

@pinty: Well may be not.. probably me and you are as good in Socceras were our seniors.. just that we never played with them with all the experience that they had... totti.. well he does get calls.. but thats prolly more of AOL thingy...

@Rohan: really weird observation.. bcoz if I remember 2003 was a really sloppy batch...

@casa: Actually thats what I donno if I ever will.. because I tend to admire the seniors.. even my parents.. always feel tehy worked and even now work much much harder than I do.. but I believe I wouldn't really be cribbing about the juniors.. kids and all.. probably we realize overtime how people are supposed to be at a particular age..

@totti: Well.. as of now irrespective of generations .. people have started treating you like a saint .. hope you get back to be a regular human being soon...
getting high to my flute playing and all:-p.. maan that takes some effort..

10:42 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Yup thats exactly wat I said the batch of 03 sent the IITM meta dept spiralling towards an intellectual decline freefall

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home