Friday, October 07, 2005

Intellect of Society

I have often wondered and discussed with balls on this issue, " Do movies really reflect the intellectual level of the society ? ". The thought was kindled, when I watched this amazing movie called Gajini , which had some concepts borrowed from one of my all time favorite movies, Memento. As the movie ended and I managed to get over with admiring the extremely wonderful effort of the movie director, I was pondering over the same question once again while driving to my department. I have always been amazed by classics like, the Mememnto, Usual suspects.... and some movies as complicated as Mulholand Drive (atleast I bulbed completely over the movie!!), which makes me really think that, such movies, if appreciated by people, shows a clear fact that the society is much more intellectually sound. It simply looks impossible to even think about the future of Indian cinema ever tending towards such classy hollywood efforts, and above that, getting the right accolades from the society. Feels really sad if the type of movies appreciated by people are really the typical mass masala movies, which actually looks quite distressing when looked upon with the correlation between the movies and the intellectual level of the society. Really hope that some of the really talented directors of Indian cinema get the people out of this quagmire all the contemorary movies are getting them into. Well I believe the movie makers should really not think about what people want out of the movies, but convey what they really want the people to think. Before I sogn off!!!

WE ARE!!!!!..... PENN STATE.. really excited about tommorrow's game.. hope we win it

5 Comments:

Blogger Point 5 said...

How can you talk like that about movies like "Gilly", "Chandramukhi", "Padayappa"....dont u think they truly reflect the intellect of the people ?

.movies like Harry Potter reflect the intellect of guys like Totti...

1:30 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Pointy i demand you stop taking cheap shots like that.Harry Potter is a fantastic story.If your inner child has grown up not to appreciate such things, i feel sorry for you.More on this later!

Good point da! i wish they would make good stories and explore new things.Refreshing ideas that are not borrowed from hollywood.Surya is doing a good job, i think

7:20 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

I thought that movie Ghajini was a ripoff Fifty First dates?
Anyways I think movies like Usual Suspects, Seven, Fight Club, Memento, Sixth Sense are hits as son as they are put down as concepts by their script writers. After that it doesnt matter who acts in these movies they just have a free big hit on their hands, but then if u notice these movies are few and far between even in Hollywood.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! you sure seem impressed. Should watch as soon as I can. :) Will then let you know what I felt.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Susu said...

@pointy: I was precisely targetting INV(intellectual) population like u.. who repeatedly watch gilli or padayappa, and support them strongly...

@totti & @Rohan: I was actually happy to see ghajini doing well, however the sad part is that I was thinking more in terms of, "Would people have understood had they made exact replica of Memento??"

@niru: yeah wahtch it... you got thetres near your place... lucky u :P

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home