Sunday, August 28, 2005

Thinking about thoughts

Just thought about how much time do I really spend thinking, and how productive are those thoughts. As a PhD student, supposedly the people who think a lot, this came to mind while sitting down with a problem yesterday and trying to think of a solution for it. After a while (3hrs), when the problem was getting away from me, my thoughts deviated into thinking about, when did I ever think like this last time. A vague rememberance, I could recollect days from my JEE preperation, when I used to really think a lot about problems all the time. But, I guess since the day I got into a profession which really does not require you to think much, engineering, I have been drven away from that habit. Most of the modern day research is completely google oriented and its probably once in a while that you really sit back and think on problems and usually you end up solving them either within a few minutes or end up googling and finding the solution online. Well, coming to when do people think alone over problems, I can recollect some of the classic examples. I have had couple of friends who solve problems in dreams, some of them even formulate a problem before sleeping so as to get a clearer picture of the problem in their sleep and have claimed that it works!!! I like to think in shower, its probably the early morning freshness, but some of the good papers that I have published so far, have emerged as outcomes of some classic ideas under shower :) I have heard people saying that enunciating helps while thinking, tried that, works pretty well for me. My manager at Intel thinks all the time if he finds a problem, the scariest, when he's driving !! I have often thought about problems while driving, and thanks to my sub-conscious mind have so far not been invloved in any accidents. But, at the end of it a vague feeling creeps in, when I think about how unattentive I was while driving. Considering the fact that I have a junky report to write for a customer tommorrow, I think I have given sufficient thought to my thinking, and better recede back to writing my report!! But do think about it and write what you really feel!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger ..Insane_Racounter.. said...

Hi mr.ramoray..! So, finally started using the rusted machine agian [:p],
You seem to be the equals of "archimedes", I pity your rommates. It looks like the day when u run out of the shower naked, screaming "Eureka Eureaka.. ! " I found my Pe^*& is not too far. :)

6:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I empathize with the not being able to think part, and over dependency on google too. Not that I think much anyways. I am biomedical Engineering :p

8:17 PM  
Blogger Susu said...

@peeps: Doode must censor ur comments!!! mommy reads my blogs once in a while!!!

@niru: Hmm.. bio med. so u will be one of the ppl ripping off us poor engineers when we get to hospitals:(... well anyways thanks for ur comments:)

11:51 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

..Like u, I stopped thinking after I wrote JEE...I expected to cultivate that habit when I joing work, but corporate world is totally a different story....

....but lets were the "thinking" caps and start working on Arous Inc.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home