Monday, November 12, 2007

Aint that funny!

Moving out of school and entering work life has been a big transition. Lots of things changed; my work schedules, type of work, way of work, lifestyle etc. Except for a few I think I have acclimatized myself to most of them, but now is the biggest one that I am facing, "Changing the sense of humor!".

That made me think about what has been the definition of humor all this while; or rather "What is funny ? " {:-p acknowledging Sarah J. Parker }
I was pondering over the mere basics of being funny and how could one be branded humorous. I think the best way to go about it would be to enlist and catogorize all kind of humor and see what it needs to be funny. My mind could only recollect the follwing kinda humor:-
A) Narration: Seemingly simple way of being humrorous. If you can enact a humorous incident from TV/Movie perfectly. It gets best when you may apply references to situations from TV series. Copying a joke from a friend and applying it at the rite moment may be counted in this genre.
Requires: Good memory, great presence of mind to think in parallel and pull the best reference from the memory and a lotta TV watching(I would strongly recommend daily shows and family guy).
B) Malapropism(a.k.a 'literary jokes' 'PJs'): Sheer elegant jokes. A class of situational jokes involving playing around with words to form a brilliant word.
Requires: Good grip on language(any), multilingual helps( classic cliched ones involve usage of the same word in different languages).
C) Trash talk: The worst genre. Trashing people based on their origin, styles, weight, looks etc.
Requires: Time to acquire information about people and their sensitivities.

This was all I could think of catagorizing all the kind of humor possible. Please enlighten me with new bullets which may be appended to this list.

And hence, the task is simple. I just need to figure out applying all of the aforementioned stuff at work. Is it really that simple?

Oh yeah btw, after I wrote all this stuff, I googled for 40 secs and found this link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Funny-Without-Telling-Jokes
Hope this helps ! :)

Coming soon: "A day with hippies"

4 Comments:

Blogger Point 5 said...

Corporate humor is very situational. At times it may be ridden with PJs, but at most times it has very short shelf life.

8:46 PM  
Blogger totti said...

It should be called Hippie's Day out :p. Pointy - shelf life?? are you kidding?

8:57 AM  
Blogger totti said...

i told subbu you getting married by DAC 2008 :P

9:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

two other ways that come to my mind are : repartee, self-depreciation and oblique reference also known as sarcasm...

btw... I started my own blog -

http://vvinam.wordpress.com/

Subbu

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home